Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hako

I have alluded to this place in many posts, but it has been quite a while since I've actually eaten there. Well, on Friday, we finally went back to an old faithful. For those of you that don't know what the definition of an old faithful is, this is my definition:

Old Faithful, /adj/ A place where you know you will be looked after with food that simply never disappoints.

Hako is that type of place. I've been eating at Hako for so many years now, I think it would be hard to remember a time without a place like Hako. In the old days, it used to be a tiny shop in Degraves St (where Little Cupcakes is now - so if you know how small little cupcakes is, you know how small Hako used to be), and it would squeeze in barely 20 people. I remember how I would go after uni and occasionally rush there just before they close in the hope that the kitchen was still open so I could get my fix. This was in my early uni days so when I think about it, even back then, I knew I was onto a winner.

I don't know what to say about Hako, I really don't. You all know how much I love sashimi nowadays, well, it was Hako that got me started.

I remember my first sashimi experience was a delicate spicy tuna sashimi that was so magnificent that the transition of sashimi into one of my favourite foods seems so foreign.

Not to mention, their okonomiyaki is something I crave for - I don't just eat it, I CRAVE it.

I remember having a tonkatsu at this place and just thinking this, in winter, is just what I need. A self contained bowl of food that has everything you need and the karage with the succulent chicken and rice being a dish I could eat everything.

Hako is a place that I wish I would visit more more often. If anything, that is part of my 2010 plan: Goto Hako more..

To finish off a night of brillaint food, my dear friend Caroline and I went to MoVida Aqui to, of course, have a creme caramel. There is no doubt, the creme caramel has magical qualities. That first mouthful of silky smooth custard dissolves, for a split second, all the problems of the world.

Where?

Hako, 310 Flinders Lane, Melbourne
MoVida Aqui, 500 Bourke St, Melbourne (enter via Lt Bourke).

Hako on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I crave pizza, does that make me lower class? Mmmmmm, pizza. Yesterday I made a white bread sandwich with brie and a fried egg. I think I'm about two seconds away from a heart attack!!a

Dave said...

Well, it depends what type of pizza you crave. If it was gourmet, and wood oven, no it doesn't make you lower class at all. In fact, I would be super impressed. But if you were craving some obscure vegetarian pizza with 10 type of cheeses, then yes, yes indeed. You are scum.

Unknown said...

Why no moe blogging? What does a gourmet such as yourself usually have for breakfast?

Dave said...

I have neglected everything around me. Do you understand what that means? That means no time for blogging, only criticising and complaining.

I also crashed my car today, so now I need to do all the work associated with getting it fixed. I now know why you're an alcoholic. I see it. I can see it being quite quite appealing.