Friday, November 12, 2010

S is for Stuff...but S is also for Sydney.

Sydney has, perhaps, some of the most iconic landmarks of Australia, but being from Melbourne, I find it hard to really love Sydney.  I find myself thinking about the comparisons between Melbourne and Sydney, but to avoid a post becoming a Melbourne vs Sydney post, I will just stick to what I did in Sydney...which wasn't much.
 

Paddington Street Alimentari
I remember seeing this on Getaway and thought it seemed pretty cool. But it really wasn't anything special, just a corner store cafe, with people and their poodles and shit like that. Coffee was watery, weak and not worth the effort. Nice location, nothing to write home about.

Bourke Street Bakery
Brilliant location. Tiny bakery, but packed packed packed. Even with construction on the road (which I note was excruciatingly noisy), people were still "dining in", and even people just standing outside munching on their sandwiches/rolls.


Praline pastry and strawberry brulee on left and roast beef sandwich on right. Damn I  love roast beef sandwiches.

Guylian Chocolate Cafe
Seriously, don't bother. Don't even bother. Goto Maccas and get a chocolate shake. You rarely see me say on this blog, don't bother. But seriously, DON'T BOTHER. Dissinterested and rude service mediocre cakes and chocolate. Just fly back to Melbourne and goto Lindt.

Sydney Cove Oyster Bar
Fantastic view, and can only imagine it being even better in Summer. Generally good food, but I have to say this about the sand whiting - SERIOUSLY? Why would a restaurant serve this whole? It had so so many pin bones, that the next day I thought I had a pin bone lodged in my  throat cause eating it had obviously irritated something. It was definitely not a safe dish to eat. In all fairness however, it tasted fantastic, if I could ignore fact that I feared for my life the whole time eating it! Yes, I'm being dramatic, but you would be too.




Where?
Sydney, Paddington St, Sydney Harbour, Bourke St (in Surrey Hills)...

Bourke Street Bakery on Urbanspoon

No comments: