Tuesday, December 29, 2009

'tis the season to be festive - truffles

December has been an amazing month for both old faithfuls and experimentation.

I can finally say I've tried fresh truffles.. Being such a revered ingredient, when I found out that Simon Johnson would be stocking them I, of course  had to put an order in.

My fascination with the fungus, I think, started when I saw a food doco and the presenter was raving about how amazing her scrambled eggs and truffles were. That at least, is one of the first memories on my curiosity on truffles. Previous to this, I had only ever had a small slithers at restaurants, and products (eg, truffle salsa etc), so this was definitely an indulgent experience.


Anyway, cut the long story short, they are worth every damn cent!! As soon as I opened the package, the aroma filled the room. It still astounds me, that such a hideous looking fungus could produce such an amazing fragrance.

I had to ration my 90gs so I started with a pasta dish - parpardelle with truffles and serrano. It was, amazing. As it was simple and really allowed individual ingredients to really come through.

Over the last few days, I did what I've always wanted to do and have scrambled eggs with truffles. A little rich, but I don't care. It's December. It's the time to be festive and what better way to be festive than to eat well?

Where From?

Truffles - Simon Johnson (Chadstone)
Pasta & Serrano - Queen Vic

No comments: