Sunday, April 25, 2010

Yarra Glen Farmer's Market @ Yering Station

Well, I've been really getting into farmer's markets of late. I suppose the charm of the farmer's market is the sense of "slowness". Sometimes in between everything, taking a few hours to just stroll the stores, find some produce and get excited about things such as lemon myrtle shortbread just makes for great stress relief.



After attending a few of these markets, I would have to say the Yarra Glen market at Yering station is one of the more 'sophisticated' ones, but sophistication is not always what you're after at farmer's markets. 'Grass root' type stores excites me more.. Set on the grounds of a vineyard, it is a brilliant backdrop for the stands and producers.. I'm not sure if they have entertainment every month, or whether it was because it was the "autumn harvest" market, but it nevertheless made it a good morning to just take some time to wander the through the barn and grounds. I don't know if it was local, but sometimes, it doesn't really matter.

Ps. I am so freaken addicted to lemon myrtle shortbread from these goddamn markets. There is a store that sells these shortbread made in the Yarra Valley and they are FREAKEN amazing because of the lemon myrtle in them.


Where?
Yarra Glen, Yering Station

When? 
3rd Sunday of each month

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure you have to be over seventy (70) to like shortbread. Do you also like butterscotch? Cos that's a dead giveaway.

Dave said...

I'm actually seventy one (71). That makes me more than qualified, don't you think - BETTY.There I used your REAL name. I'm not afraid - not afraid AT ALL.