Sunday, February 27, 2011

Homegrown.

The end of summer also signals the nearing end of my tomato crops. With the exception of  the black russians and mortgage lifters, the other varieties are nearing the end of their finite life. The wild sweeties are finishing off their last wave of current sized tomatoes, and the rouge de marmandes have all but given their last fruit.

I try not to do too much with my tomatoes, so here's a light (and notably, vegetarian) salad of tomatoes from my own urban backyard with roasted cauliflower and feta. 

Varieties include mortgage lifters, wild sweeties, red figs, principe borghese, rouge de marmande.

I'm already looking forward to next summer, with other heirloom varieties to be tested and a return of those that have delivered exception flavour.

Where?
My backyard.

No comments: