Sunday, March 6, 2011

Raw pistachios (Fresh from the tree).

I found some raw raw pistachios at the market this morning.

In Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma", in tracing the origins of food from seed to plate (in the case of the book, it was the corn), it was interesting to see how far removed we have become to our food. We don't know where it comes from...or even what it looks like. * I do note that there were other points in the book ( basically you will rethink industrial agriculture after reading it). I didn't even know what a raw pistachio looked like until this morning. So it goes without saying that when I saw a peculiar looking "seed" at the market this morning, I had to get some.

The pistachio is covered by a soft skin which is easily peeled off to reveal a "wet" creamy white shell. Most of them are already split revealing a seed with accents of pink, yellow and green. The seed however, when eaten is jade green with a lighter centre. Mild in taste, great for salads or simply with a beer and chilled beats. Perfect 28°C Sunday.

1 comment:

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

How lovely. I enjoy stumbling upon good stuff like this.