Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Hello Winter (I know it's Autumn).

As the cold of autumn has well and truly set in, I decided it was time to get rid of the tomatillos and soybeans. Unfortunately, I had put the tomatillos in way too late in summer and they were incredibly slow to ripen so I thought I'd cut my losses this year and spend some extra time in soil preparation for some autumn plantings.

I have left the padrons in though, but I think this week is the week to remove them. I am glad I had the opportunity to harvest a small amount of soy beans and they are definitely well and truly worth the effort of planting. Definitely on the list for next year.

I didn't want to make the mistake of putting things in way too late like I did in Spring/Summer.

During the month of April I've managed to put the following in:

Romanesco Broccoli - Click the link to find out what Romanesco Broccoli is [Link]
Peas - Melting Mammoth, Purple Podded, Sugar snaps
Carrots - Yellow, White, Purple
Garlic - Italian White
Mâche - Click the link to find out what Mache is [Link]
Purple Savoy Cabbage
Purple Cauliflower
Broadbeans - 2 varieties, big and small.


Photos of my Romanesco 1 month apart - why do they grow so slowly. You can also see soem garlic.

Where?
My backyard.

No comments: