Saturday, February 4, 2012

Monk Bodhi Dharma

Yeah well, I drove ALL THE WAY to St Kilda to try this place out...clearly I have nothing better to do.

Should I mention, I really hate St Kilda? On my way there, two (not one, but two), deros were crossing the road and I had to swerve so I didn't hit them...Yes, you get that everywhere, but you had to be there to get it.

Monk Bodhi Dharma serves only vegetarian and vegan food. No eggs for a breakfast menu, which was a good change to make people move beyond eggs I suppose. It's in the oddest of locations, sort of in the "rear" of some shops (aka Safeway) and stuff so you know they're doing well if they draw in the crowds - and they do.

And if you think Brunswick is full of hipsters, this place is next level kinda stuff. Maybe it's because their coffee is meant to be amazing and hipsters drink a lot of coffee? That's my guess...but I didn't have an espresso based coffee, but I did try their pourover. It was good, but it hasn't changed my life. I don't think I'll wakeup at 3am thinking "coffee" like I did the other day. It happens people. But I would totally go back...if I lived in St Kilda.

For food, I started with a raw smoothie - I really don't know what a raw smoothie involves but I'm going to have to assume it wasn't cooked..., and it was meant to be vegan (I don't know what that means...but anyway) and it was filled with strawberries and perhaps basil. When they brought it out though they assumed it was for my friend Betty (of Betty's Bodies)......I'd totally drink a strawberry smoothie with a straw, I have no shame. Just because Betty looks like a strawberry smoothie drinker!! (sorry Betty). For food, I had the umami mushrooms which was mushrooms on a corn bread-type-of-thing with feta cheese, so it was clearly not vegan and couldn't claim a VEGAN day - so more power to those who can. Nevertheless, it was delicious. Who would've thought?!

Worth the try if you are local, or if you can be bothered driving all the way to St Kilda, and if you're a vegetarian or vegan.

Where?
Monk Bodhi Dharma, 202 Carlisle St, Balaclava
Monk Bodhi Dharma on Urbanspoon

No comments: