Saturday, June 25, 2011

My urban garden...late June update.


It has been almost a month or two since my last post about my urban garden so I thought it was time to do a quick "before and after (or more accurately, now) shot. It's always exciting to see the difference, but I wish things would hurry up!

Things have indeed progressed slowly with the exception of my peas which have well and truly reached the 1.5m mark for their variety. The melting mammoths have started to show flower buds and the sugar snaps have developed their first pods.

The garlic is going well, but much much slower than what I would have expected and the weed control is painstakingly difficult. It seems like everytime I clear the garden a whole cycle of weeds regerminates competing with whatever I'm trying to grow.

You can't see in the photos, but I also sowed some mache in the garden but compared to the weeds, mache takes forever to germinate in this cold weater. I also found a dead RAT the size of a baby cat (yes, I know the term is kitten, but baby cat sounds more appropriate in this case), that lets just say....by the time I noticed the rat was well and truly .."returned to the earth". Yes, feral...pardon the pun.

The romanesco (pictured) is also growing very slowly - but luckily survived March / April when cabbage moths were most active. Those dome things are brilliant, but I wish I had put my cabbages in a bit earlier so that they would be more established by now.

When I first planted the peas, I didn't really know how they would grow, but in retrospect I should've put more in if they only produce a small handful of peas per plant. Shame, but they took quite a while to establish but once they did they grew pretty quickly. Luckily I've staggered them in my two garden beds, so I will have some successive harvests (hopefully).






Some other stuff...
On the right, my rainbow carrots which are about 15cm high. I lost some during one of the "weeding" exercises. I don't know if carrots grow well in this weather, but we'll see what happens as it seems a lot of the farmers at the markets have well and truly established their crops.

And of course, my broadbeans, some big and some small varieties. I have no idea what is what anymore, I sort of just sowed them at the time and forgot to label.I finally staked them after they were collapsing because well, I thought they didn't need to be staked! To the right is my other patch, with the peas starting to also take off. It took an incredibly long time for them to really start to accelerate in growth (also some mache, which you can't see, some wom bok and garlic).

Where?
My garden.

No comments: