Sunday, June 26, 2011

SU:T

Well, I finally did it. I have finally had Korean. That's right boys and girls - I finally went and ate at a Korean restaurant.Are you impressed?

After much deliberation my friend Denise and I opted to head to Box Hill rather than venturing into the city - more out of laziness than anything. I had signalled that wherever we go, it better be good, or I will, unfortunately, have to blame someone for putting me off Korean. I know, I'm a real nice guy. HA

I was initially reluctant to eat at a Korean BBQ place simply because...I hate cooking my own food when I'm out. Seriously...why is this a novelty? It's work...it's effort...anyway...I digress.

Fortunately, SU:T was pretty good. The service was friendly, but was a bit intermittent, simply because they were busy (this is me being diplomatic). But they were trying and that is sometimes good enough for me.


A bowl or whatever it's called, is promptly brought to the table full of hot charcoals - and you could definitely feel the heat. Luckily we were seated in a corner of the restaurant that was fairly isolated from the main section so the smell of smoke etc...was not so bad. The adjustable extraction was also a great way to control the smoke. The waiter asked if we would like them to BBQ it for us...of course I said yes.

We just didn't flip the meat......yeh. Amateurs. So here is a lesson boys and girls...flip your meat - it burns if you don't. Anyway, it was kind of embarrassing because they changed the grill pretty much before we even had one serve of food....But in general, they changed the grill about 3-4times throughout the night. So, you don't have to worry about cooking on burnt grills.

We also ordered king prawns and mushrooms. The prawns were massive, and the mushrooms were well, mushrooms.


We ordered a dish of "chicken thigh and bulgogi" thinking it was meat we could use to put on the charcoals, but it came in a separate grill (stone grill from what we were told). Again, neither of us knew what to do...and wondered if the meat would actually cook. It did if you're wondering. The waitress must've picked up on the fact that we didn't know what to do so she came by every 10mins or so to check.

And of course, Korean friend chicken.WHAT do I need to say about Korean fried chicken? Just look at it. Seriously, just look at it. Of course it was AWESOME.

Overall, SU:T was a pretty good experience. I don't have much to compare with, but I didn't leave disappointed. The food was good, and some dishes great (the pork belly and korean fried chicken were amazing), and service was friendly enough and for a suburban restaurant, I'd definitely go back.

Where?
SU:T and Wine, 970 Whitehorse Road, Box Hill

SUT and Wine on Urbanspoon

No comments: