Friday, January 22, 2010

Syphon

Well, you may have heard about the craze that is the syphon if you are into coffee. With coffee places like the "sensory lab" opening up in David Jones, it makes sense that I have to talk about it.

Luckily for me (and you), Toby's Estate will brew a syphon for you, with the coffee of your choice, usually a single origin of some sort. It is my understanding that with a syphon, the subtlety of flavours are allowed to pronounce themselves which I suspect is due to the brew process involving "vacuum" conditions.

Water is heated in a glass chamber and once it reaches boiling point, rises through the tube brewing with the coffee. For about forty seconds, magic happens. So if you say abracadabra alekazaaam you may see smoke! Once the heat is removed, the infusion returns to the bottom chamber through a filter, ensuring the liquor is devoid of coffee grounds.

The result? A true expression of origin. I can't say  I have deep knowledge of how a coffee pronounces itself, but it is definitely different to an espresso-based coffee. Much more delicate, but you know there is caffeine - and a lot of it too. I found that the more I drank, the more I liked. For $5 a pop, it is good value - Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. I think it is worth the money just for the song and dance of brewing a syphon!

Where?

Toby's Estate, Weston Street, Brunswick

No comments: